Standing against the EU Article 13. #saveyourinternet

CaptainXtra
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

STOP KOSA!
Another important update on the matter of implementation!

I went ahead and translated a set of tweets by Julia Reda on the matter.

Translation:

Netzpolitik has the ministerial draft for the implementation of the #Urheberrechtsreform released. Section 8 UrhDaG (p. 33) is particularly worrying for fundamental https://rights.twitter.com/netzpolitik/st… Platforms can only do what is required by real-time #Uploadfilter implement.

According to the new proposal, users should only be able to mark their uploads as legal if a #Uploadfilter a potential copyright infringement identified during the upload. But what if rights holders only report the content for blocking later?

The proposal is therefore a real step backwards both for users and for platforms, because it implies a certain technical measure ~~#Uploadfilter ~~ prescribes and limits the options for protecting legal uploads.

Here is the old version of § 8 from the discussion draft for comparison (p. 24). According to the old draft, users ALWAYS had the right to mark content as allowed, regardless of whether a #Uploadfilter finds something when http://uploading.bmjv.de/SharedDocs/Ges…

Bottom line:  
NOW WOULD BE A GRAND TIME FOR GERMAN CITIZENS TO TALK TO THEIR LAWMAKERS ASAP!
CaptainXtra
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

STOP KOSA!
So apparently some EU member states are slamming the Commission’s Guidelines related to Article 13/17:  
https://twitter.com/laukaya/status/1321140217273815041?s=21

I can’t tell if it’s good or bad due to some issues.

The link in said tweet doesn’t work for me, so if you happen to have a some sort of membership with the site that the link leads to then please don’t hesitate to share what it says.

Here’s Communia responding to said tweet:  
https://twitter.com/communia_eu/status/1321143913340690441?s=21
CaptainXtra

STOP KOSA!
@Wildcard71  
7 EU members states are complaining about the guidelines in relation to Article 17 from the EUCD.

From what’s known, the guidelines require that User Rights be respected but 7 of the EU countries aren’t happy about that as opposed to the other 20 which are ok with it.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
Well, I’ll give you a brief summary of the current European situation.

In principle, everything else interests the EU at the moment, from foreign policy at their borders to the actions of the Covid-19 threat. They (and I do not exclude myself) don’t care about digital standards at all, and that’s not so bad, because it allows us to have a different perspective on the threat posed by Google and any other competitor outside the European continent.

Of course European law isn’t prepared at all for the needs of today’s (US-American dominated) youth. But you won’t be able to change more than 70 years of European economic understanding (however ailing and unfashionable it may be today) overnight. First of all, something must change in the world in terms of capitalist principles, and then we in Europe must stop building digital (fire) walls.

Europe may be ready to take its own digital way. But it does not trust anyone outside the European continent. So much damage has been caused by the Russian and Chinese hacker attacks or the constant interception by the US. But nobody can say that we Europeans are much smarter than the rest of the world. On the contrary, we are still years behind all the digital development.

What we need now is a common European digital concept to protect our economy, our policy and our responsibility towards the rest of the world.
CaptainXtra

STOP KOSA!
@DarkObsidian  
full

I’m sorry but I always struggle to understand your comments.

Instead, let me ask you this:

How closely have you been following the events surrounding the EUCD?

The individuals that have been fighting for User Rights?

The ones who seek to tighten said User Rights?

I’m REALLY sorry if I sound rude but you’re always so mysterious to me.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
How closely have you been following the events surrounding the EUCD?

I am following the debate to the best of my ability. Interested and open-minded, both in the news, newspapers, online articles and streams, such as that of Julia Reda in her conversation with Gameomat.

The individuals that have been fighting for User Rights?

Should the question be what I think about the individuals or whether I follow their work?

Let me try to answer like this: I think these individuals do a good and important job, as long as they are able to include the position of their opponents in their work, instead of always just constantly reflecting their own personal attitude.

The ones who seek to tighten said User Rights?

I think there are a lot of different interest groups in this debate. Just what I have heard in the last few days, there are also clear shifts between what was originally intended and what is currently being discussed. Of course, it must be made clear that there are some very sensitive points where these different interest groups clearly contradict each other.

@CaptainXtra

Now, as much as I am fond of sympathising with the MEPs of the Pirate Party, once again only the political position of the Pirate Party has been clarified here, without commenting on the actual state of affairs.

The fear that upload filters mean so-called overblocking is simply not to be taken seriously. Those involved in these talks are well aware on both sides that there are major technical and legal difficulties that need to be resolved by the summer of next year.

To put it short: Article 17 is still not finished, the problem is well known, but we have to assume that this law will apply to the EU next year. And as we Europeans are, the law is then renegotiated afterwards, and perhaps amended later.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide