[Dark] Depression/Suicides within the fandom (The revival)

Deactivated Account

forgets everything
So… one of the friends of my best friend committed suicide earlier this week…not sure what to think…

I know I don’t speak for anyone else, but, if this were one of my friends I would be happy for the fact that they are no longer suffering.
Scrabbleman
Duck - He literally asked for this
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

[screams in German]
Life is precious. But it’s also a choice. People should be able to decide when to live or die. And we should be helping them make sure of their decisions.
Deactivated Account

forgets everything
Life is precious. But it’s also a choice. People should be able to decide when to live or die. And we should be helping them make sure of their decisions.

I wholeheartedly agree. We shouldn’t be depriving people of their autonomy to benefit others where such an action in some other contexts would be considered reprehensible.
Deactivated Account

forgets everything
@Carter Resado  
That’s true as well. If someone were to confide in me that they wanted to commit suicide, I would allow them to do it but also urge them to consider alternatives and assure them that I was there to talk if they needed it.
Deactivated Account

forgets everything
@Carter Resado  
I wouldn’t consider it to be any “darker” than demanding them to keep living for someone else’s benefit. I understand completely why someone would want a loved one to stay, but at the end of the day, it’s not their life. It’s not their body, and people have a right to self-determination. Sacrificing one’s own happiness and allowing bereavement, so that another person can be free of suffering for eternity, is - in my opinion - benevolent and selfless.

Of course, if you are contemplating suicide, you have literally the rest of your life to think it over. You might as well try the other stuff first. You’re staring the prospect of eternal oblivion in the eyes, what have you got left to lose? Get help if you can.
Scrabbleman
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

[screams in German]
@Carter Resado  
Then help them. But don’t make them uncomfortable.

If a person wants to commit suicide, convince them not to. Talk to them, having a reasonable conversation. Have them understand what they’re about to do, and what the consequences are, both good and bad. If there’s no way of talking them out of it, wish them good luck. Support their decision.

Give them the right to decide, while also making sure they fully understand what they’re doing. So long as you fulfill the latter, you’ll know they won’t regret their decision.
Scrabbleman
Artist -

[screams in German]
Honestly, that’s how I talk to people in real life. That’s how my parents taught me about managing my money. They gave me a choice to buy some stupid toy or candy, and made sure that I truly wanted it.

The moment I had doubt in my mind, I put it back.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide