Music thread

DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

I just got back from Classic Albums Live’s performance of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.
Now, it’s worth pointing out that Sgt. Pepper’s was conceived after The Beatles permanently retired from touring. I decided to do some research into the creation of the album, and to make a long story short, Sgt. Pepper’s does not lend itself to a live performance.
Like, aggressively does not lend itself to one. Trying to do it live is admirable, but misguided, and the experience felt pretty underwhelming.
Not for a lack of talent, though. The album was the first act, and after the intermission, they just played a bunch of Beatles songs from the later years. And it was great! The energy of a live performance might not gel well with most of the songs from Sgt. Pepper’s, but when given the right songs to work with, it was everything a rock concert should be. Everyone had a blast.
The songs in the second half were:
  • Birthday
  • Come Together
  • Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
  • Glass Onion
  • Here Comes The Sun
  • Get Back
  • I am The Walrus
  • Back in The USSR
  • While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  • Twist and Shout
TheHappySpaceman
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Artist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Sweet F.A.
When I was first learning guitar, my dad first taught me how to play guitar using my fingers to strum, and then when I got a guitar teacher, he taught me how to do finger-picking techniques for rhythm and some lead parts. I’ve used picks for two or three songs, but only for rhythm playing, not lead.
These days, I’ve learned how to write solos and play semi-fast, even incorporating some tapping into my solos. This is also convenient because it makes it very easy to switch from keyboard to guitar and vice-versa without having to grab or put down a pick. But I’ll admit, I have a long way to go, and part of that is that I don’t know how to do things like sweep-picking or really technical shredding, which most rock guitarists these days seem to be incorporating into their playing. Every time I try to play lead with a pick, it feels like I’m having to re-learn the instrument, and it never goes anywhere.
What would your advice be? Is it worth learning (re-learning, even) to play guitar with a pick, or should I focus on trying to hone in my finger-picking abilities and get those sounding as good as I can?
Thanks in advance for your advice!
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
Congrats to Jack Harlow for his second number one song with “First Class” right behind “Industry Baby” with Lil Nas X. Also, Kendrick Lamar releases his newest album in May, can’t wait!
Pinto Bean
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

refried sans lard
@TheHappySpaceman
Learn some picking techniques. Finger picking is well suited for acoustic guitar, but electric sounds better with a pick IMO. Learn how to alternate between up-strokes and down-strokes if you haven’t already. I see so many pros only do the down-stroke but it’s so limiting. Watch some Dick Dale vids on YT. That’s Guitar Picking 101. You can always go back to your finger picking if it doesn’t work out. Good luck.
𝐒𝐞𝐚𝐫
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

seventh layer of hair
Billy Joel: “When am I gonna take control get a hold of my emoti-STOP LIGHTING THE AUDIENCE!
Billy Joel: “Why does it only seem to hit me in the middle of the night… STOP IT!
Billy Joel: “You told me there’s a number I can always dial- LET ME DO MY SHOW FOR CHRIST SAKE!
*proceeds to flip the piano over*
This has me dying laughing yoooooo 🤣
𝐒𝐞𝐚𝐫
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).

seventh layer of hair
Oh god i’m supposed to be a hardcore edgy metalhead, now here I am binging to alot of Billy Joel’s stuff and my mom loves it.
Frankly, this type of music wasn’t such half as bad as I thought it be.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Music Connoisseur
One of my favorite moments ever from the Eagles’ history is during their last concert when Don Felder told Glenn Frey that when it ends, he was going to kick his ass. After it ended, they both went backstage and literally started beating the crap out of each other. Guess there really was heartache tonight there 😏
TheHappySpaceman
Artist -

Sweet F.A.
You know what I’ve been wondering? Freddie Mercury died in 1991, which functionally ended Queen, but through the twenty years they were together, they put out a ton of music and were not afraid to adapt their music style to the changing times, including the rise of punk, disco, new wave, synthpop, dance rock, and even glam metal, while still keeping the same sound, if you feel me. You were never going to mistake Queen for any other band, y’know?
What I’m wondering is, if Freddie had lived and Queen had continued… what would they have sounded like later in the ‘90s? How would they have adapted to the alternative movement, for example? Somehow, I can’t imagine a grungey Queen, but I also really want to hear it.
TheHappySpaceman
Artist -

Sweet F.A.
@Mellow Rhythm
That makes sense, yeah. I could see them aiming for a more alternative sound, a little darker and more stripped-down, fewer synths and harmonies. Kind of like how they deliberately made News of the World to address the criticisms of their sound from the punk community. Probably not grunge, as you said–the moody and serious nature of a lot of grunge and alternative likely wouldn’t have worked well with Queen’s (and particularly Freddie Mercury’s) bombast.
On the other hand, I can also imagine them dipping from pop music altogether and getting into film soundtrack work. Elton John moved into that in the ’90s, and Queen had already done some of that with Flash Gordon and Highlander. (Hell, I can imagine that a Queen soundtrack for a Disney movie would be absolutely amazing.)
Starless
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Prog rock pony
I feel like if Freddie Mercury never died Queen probably would have ended up being irrelevant and maybe they would have stopped releasing new albums anyways (since John Deacon would retire several years after Freddie died). Even if they did continue and tried out more genres like grunge or rap or whatever was big in the 90s and 2000s, they’d never be as good as they once were. To be honest most of Queen’s music isn’t all that great and a lot of the genres they covered, many other artists had done so much better. They went downhill after the first five albums (and even those albums weren’t amazing).
What are some other versatile bands that were good at several different genres besides Queen? King Crimson and Gentle Giant both come to mind.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide