Music thread

TheHappySpaceman
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Sweet F.A.
You enjoy prog for its complicated time signatures and instrumental virtuosity. I enjoy prog for its potential as theater kid music. We are not the same.
Posted Report
Starless
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Prog rock pony
You enjoy prog for its complicated time signatures and instrumental virtuosity. I enjoy prog for its potential as theater kid music. We are not the same.
True. Actual King Crimson fans like me likes them because of their influence, talent, creativity, experimentation, how they evolved throughout the years and went through several incarnations (and several break ups) while still creating good music for decades, and Robert Fripp is one of the great guitarists of all time. But some random teenager whose even heard of King Crimson (most have not) only likes them just because of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure.
It’s sad that TikTok memes and appearing in popular movies, video games, or TV shows is the only way most kids will ever learn about old music, and even when that happens, some sensitive teenager will find a good reason to try to “cancel” said artist like that one girl tried to “cancel” Metallica for stupid reasons. I mean, some bands like The Beatles and Pink Floyd were big enough to where they will always be relevant, and I’m sure a lot of kids only like modern pop artists because of their looks and popularity and may even think we should only listen to what’s new and relevant which is stupid. Those two bands I mentioned and several others had a consistent lineup throughout most if not all their career (though Pink Floyd did go several years without Roger Waters), got the right record label at the right time, and appealed to the masses who care more about looks than actual talent and have short attention spans. A lot of progressive rock bands are more talented than Pink Floyd, were just as unique and creative, and wrote much better songs, but they clearly weren’t lucky enough to be successful and apart from Pink Floyd and Rush, none of them are taken seriously by a lot of critics (looking at you RollingStone).
I don’t expect anyone who uses TikTok to go ahead and listen to any 20+ minute epic like Supper’s Ready or 2112. Fuck I don’t even expect them to give songs like Long Distance Runaround, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Aqualung, From the Beginning, and Elephant Talk a chance. And to be honest, I don’t care what they or anyone else likes. I just don’t want anyone keeping me from listening to the music I like, telling me shit like “you shouldn’t listen to King Crimson because they’re irrelevant” or “you should listen to X because they’re hot”. I don’t care if they’re hot. Whether they’re music is good or not is all that matters.
Starless
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Prog rock pony
@TheHappySpaceman
Yeah sorry about that. I got into another long rant which is an issue I have that’s kinda hard to control and once I realize it I’ve already finished writing the rant and about to post.
Posted Report
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@TheHappySpaceman
Funny story about that…
A few years ago I went to visit my old high school theatre arts teacher. I got to sit in on a class, and she was talking about how to pick a good song for auditioning. She mentioned that the song should showcase the singer’s ability, and get right to the point.
I chime in with “So no Dream Theatre.”
A few seconds later, one of the kids says “I’m the only one who gets it.”
Posted Report
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
Finally finished listening to all the songs on the 2023 Year End, now all I have to do is compile the lists themselves
Posted Report
Mr.Myoozik
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
@Mellow Rhythm
I’ve been doing a yearly tradition of making a list of my ten favorite and least favorite hit songs of the current year and now I just have to compile the lists and write my critiques on the songs.
Posted Report
Mr.Myoozik

Music Connoisseur
My ten favorite year end hits of 2022:
Whassup? It’s Mr.Myoozik and it’s that time of the year when I make my lists for my favorite and least favorite hits of the current year, starting with my favorites. It’s safe to say that 2022 was a very disappointing year in music, not a lot of good stuff stuck around for long, it was mostly filled with mediocrity with not a lot of stand outs and most of the hits that got big were from previous years, especially one from the 80’s of all eras. Compared to 2020 and 2021 which I thought were good years for music, this year was a step down but I wouldn’t call it one of the worst ever. Despite the disappointment, I want to start on a positive note and rank the ten songs that I personally really liked out of the 100 hits that made the Billboard Year End. So, let’s get started:
10- Glimpse Of Us by Joji (Hot 100 Peak: #8)- After spending the last decade and a half as Youtube comedian Filthy Frank, lo-fi/alternative rapper Joji shed that persona to become a musician and this year his hard work finally paid off with this song, and I’m very happy for him. The moody atmospheric piano production is great and never gets boring and goes along with the emotional singing that has a lot of weight to it and sounds heartbreaking. The writing is also very sharp about being forgotten by somebody that you used to love since it is a universal feeling that everybody has experienced at least once. While I can’t relate to it since I haven’t experienced anything like it, the delivery of it all sells it and it doesn’t sound boring and dreary like what happens to other similar sounding songs. It’s low on the list because compared to the other songs, I don’t listen to it that much but I will admit that it’s probably the most polished and best structured song on this list. I hope Joji continues to have more success in the future because he deserves it and we do need more songs like this, it relates to the millennial and Gen Z generation and it sounds very unique for a big popular song.
9- Bam Bam by Camila Cabello feat. Ed Sheeran (Hot 100 Peak: #21)- Compared to the previous years, pop music has been going on a slow decline in terms of the music that gets popular with rap, R&B and especially country overtaking it, and it’s easy to see why. The big pop stars from the last decade have seen their relevancy fade and the newer ones haven’t been seeing much success while transitioning to a more pop punk sound. That and not a lot of it gravitated towards me except for this one. Camila Cabello of the girl group Fifth Harmony made this song to lean into her Hispanic roots and I think it works really well. The lyrics about trying to move on from a heartbreak are really great and shows that it doesn’t have to be depressing or moody, you can just accept it and go on and have some fun. This compliments the salsa inspired Latin pop sound where despite it sounding a bit processed, it doesn’t have that overproduced sound to it with some great guitars and trumpets. Camila isn’t a great singer in any way, but I think her delivery in this one is really good and doesn’t sound whiny or offkey. Ed Sheeran in here is mostly fine, I wish he could’ve been a bit better like duet more with Camila or even some bridge where he has more lyrics. Despite those flaws, this was a song I had on repeat for almost the entire year, it’s that good. I don’t expect Camila to reach the same highs as this one again, but I’m glad that she got the chance to make something like this, I applaud her for it.
8- You Should Probably Leave by Chris Stapleton (Hot 100 Peak: #28)- A lot of critics have been saying that country music was what carried this year, and I half agree and half don’t. While I do think the country music that got big was really good, some of it was really overproduced and takes off the authenticity of it. Despite that, a lot of the country songs that became hits were honestly great and this one should come as no surprise. Chris Stapleton has been on a roll for the past few years and this song is no different from his other songs with great instrumentation, great singing and great writing about a potential breakup. I just wish the lyrics could be a little bit more descriptive and really it sounds like all his other songs which is why it isn’t high on the list, but he still knocked it out of the park with this song. I think some of his other songs are better, but it’s Chris Stapleton, what else can I add?
7- ‘Til You Can’t by Cody Johnson (Hot 100 Peak: #18)- There’s going to be quite a few country songs on this list which what can I say, this genre thrived this year in spite of the overproduction and even some stinkers creeping in and we get to good country song number two. ‘Til You Can’t is a positive song about seizing your opportunity and making the moment last while it happens before it’s too late, and that already would make the song great. It isn’t the writing that shines, the singing is powerful and Cody gives it all that he’s got while not oversinging it and not letting his country accent do the singing for him. The production is a little bit overproduced but it isn’t overly egregious like other songs and it all goes well together. Even though the writing is specifically targeted towards the country crowd, it does have a universal message that can be applied to anyone and everyone and I’m glad that this song became as big as it did.
6- As It Was by Harry Styles (Hot 100 Peak: #1)- The number one song on Billboard’s Year End list was Heat Waves by Glass Animals, which is actually a 2020 song which got huge in 2021 but somehow still lingered on this year to claim the number one spot. Even if I didn’t disqualify it from my carryover rules, I think the song itself is meh and wouldn’t make either best or worst list. If anything, this song should be the number one song of the year instead of being the number two song since it’s definitely a 2022 hit. Regardless, this song is really great and my favorite pop song of the year. The lyrics about feeling distant from someone you used to love are tightly written and have a mystifying aura to it that does make you think about how relationships work in real life. The throwback 80’s synthpop sound is well produced and doesn’t sound like a rehash of other hits and Harry sings it with sadness which creates a good contrast with the cheery and upbeat sound. Some might call it generic radio filler, but I would jam to it every time they played it on the radio and like I said it, this deserved to be the number one song of 2022 over boring old Heat Waves.
5- She Had Me At Heads Carolina by Cole Swindell (Hot 100 Peak: #16)- I am utterly shocked at how great this song and even more shocked at how quickly it got big, and I’m more than happy that it did. Cole Swindell is a country singer who I know can make some great music but sadly decides to make mediocre music that hurts his credibility and seeing him make something like this is a huge step up for him. While at first the lyrics don’t sound anything special, it’s about him remembering a pretty girl during karaoke night at a bar, but it does something that I haven’t heard other country songs do which is use an older country song as the basis of the entire song. The song in question being the 90’s country song “Heads Carolina, Tails California” by Jo Dee Messina and it did it very well while not sounding exactly like it. The interpolation in the chorus and the lyrics which pays homage to the song are all nicely integrated and Cole sings it really well. The production is very overproduced I’ll admit, but to me it works and gives the song energy that I can give it a pass. While it isn’t my favorite song from Cole Swindell, it’s the one I keep coming back to, it’s that good and it’s also a great introduction to a pretty good 90’s country hit.
4- Something In The Orange by Zach Bryan (Hot 100 Peak: #12)- While country music thrived this year, a lot of it did sound the same as evident by this list. However, one artist decided to break that mold and make some folk inspired country and Americana, and that artist is Zach Bryan. A surprising sleeper hit, this song does give off a Bruce Springsteen sort of vibe with the heartland sound to it and it works really well. The folk country production is really nice and sound very authentic and it goes well with the lyrics about begging for a girl to come back, and it does make you wish that the two can get back together again. While the singing is really great, he does over sing in some parts and I wish he could’ve done another take, but it doesn’t bother me that much. Overall, a very different song than from what we’re used to and I hope that we get more songs like it get big in the future because we really need it.
3- Ojitos Lindos by Bad Bunny & Bomba Estereo (Hot 100 Peak: #26)- The biggest album of the year was Bad Bunny’s “Un Verano Sin Ti”. It was so big that some of its album tracks made the Year End list, which is already impressive for an album that doesn’t have a lot of singles but doubly impressive for an album that’s completely in Spanish. Out of all the tracks, this one is my favorite and it’s easy to see why. The beat is pretty good for the most part and the writing is also good for being a normal love song, but what really elevates this song is the delivery from both artists. Bad Bunny’s rapping is tight and keeps it at a level pace where in his other songs he sounds too loud and he sells the vibe that he’s going for and Bomba Estereo’s chorus is outstanding and very well sung and even though it should sound mismatched, it doesn’t and both work well together. It’s a great summery track from an album that might not be for everyone, I just wish it could’ve been much higher on the Hot 100 but regardless, I love this song and I will never get tired of it.
2- Damn Strait by Scotty McCreery (Hot 100 Peak: #32)- Now, we get to my favorite country song to have ever become big this year. Scotty McCreery competed in American Idol back in 2011 and he won, and surprisingly for a winner, he did get a very long successful career as a country singer and this song is his best song to me in my opinion. The production is fantastic and doesn’t sound overproduced in the slightest with all the instruments blending with each other incredibly well, Scotty’s vocal delivery is top notch and he never misses a beat but my favorite part of this song is easily the writing. The lyrics is about missing a girl she used to love while using references to country music legend George Strait and how he can’t stand to listen to him since it’ll remind him of her. It is goddamn heartbreaking and it really makes you feel for Scotty and give him a hug to remind him that everything is alright. The George Strait references don’t feel tacked on and they flow naturally in the song and while the title and chorus may sound corny, again the delivery is what makes it work. I can’t gush about this song enough, it’s a really beautiful song which my only complaint is that I wish it could’ve been much much bigger than the position that it got. If I was George Strait, I’d feel humbled at having be namedropped in a song like this.
Honorable Mentions:
All Too Well (Taylor’s Version) by Taylor Swift- Lately, Taylor Swift has been remastering some old albums of hers, and this comes from her 2012 album “Red”. Even though the song is 10 minutes long, I think it uses that run time really well to tell a great story in the song. I do like it better than the original song from 2012.
Doin’ This by Luke Combs- Luke Combs continues on making some great songs and while I think this song is weak compared to his other hits, I still dig it and I do like the message of the song.
Provenza by Karol G- I’ve been liking Karol G as of late and this is such a feel good song that does the mid tempo type beat incredibly well with a good delivery behind it.
Love Nwantiti (Ah Ah Ah) by CKay- The afrobeats trend from last year continues with this song which while I don’t think it’s the best song from this trend and it does have some flaws, I still groove to it.
Smokin’ Out The Window by Silk Sonic (Bruno Mars & Anderson.Paak)- The weakest of the Silk Sonic hits, but it’s still well produced and well sung, I’m glad it became a hit.
Woman by Doja Cat- Doja Cat is one of my favorite artists at the moment and this is up there with one of my favorites from her, it’s really sexy and fun with an afrobeats style to it that blends well with the lyrics.
Sunroof by Nicky Youre & dazy- This song has its problems I will admit in the writing and vocal department, but I’ve had it on repeat all summer because I really like the vibe that it has. Consider this song a guilty pleasure of mine.
Running Up That Hill by Kate Bush- Even though this was already a hit back in 1985, it got a revival in popularity thanks to it being on Stranger Things. Since it technically isn’t a 2022 song, I was never going to include it but let it be known that I do really like this song.
Last Last by Burna Boy- This didn’t make the Year End sadly, but it’s my alltime favorite afrobeats hit and I wish it made the YE because it’s so damn good and it would’ve easily been my number one because everything about it works from the beat to the lyrics to the singing. I’m mad that this didn’t get any bigger.
11- Meet Me At Our Spot by The Anxiety: Willow & Tyler Cole- A song about living life in the fast lane while being young sung by two singers who are still young, who can dislike something like it? My complaint is that the singing from the both of them isn’t the best, but the production and the lyrics make up for it to me.
1- Bad Habit by Steve Lacy (Hot 100 Peak: #1)- This one is a weird pick but bare with me on this. This was a song that took me a while to like and when I did like it, I REALLY liked it because the disjointed feel of it weirdly enough works. The vocal delivery is monotone but it works because there’s passion behind it and he puts emotion to it, the lyrics about trying to rekindle a past relationship don’t sound that special at first glance and even random, but it works because there is regret in the words and even a feeling of hope that one day both can get back together and the production is all over the place, but it works because it’s a unique combination of R&B and alternative with the guitar riff, the synthesizer and the beat and how they switch it up with the acoustic guitar and even the beat box portion. It works all around, it’s catchy and best of all, it’s an incredibly unique song that sounds nothing like the other hits of its time and I admire it for that alone. This is the definition of a Gen Z song where Zoomers made it big because they genuinely liked it and even related to it unlike most songs that get big off of Tik Tok, this one became a hit because of genuine appreciation and I’m glad that it was the case. Which is why I rank Bad Habit by Steve Lacy as my favorite year end hit of 2022.
Alright, that’s my list for the best hits of 2022 in my opinion. Do you agree or disagree with it? Stay tuned for my worst hits of 2022 list.
Posted Report
LeoNero
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

Shine On U Crazy Diamond
@Mr.Myoozik
Very good list here. A lot of great stuff, very detailed explanations on why. You really do have the making of a professional music critic.
Posted Report
Pinto Bean
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

refried sans lard
@Mr.Myoozik
100% believe in your convictions, Myoozik. Music is very subjective and there is no right or wrong way to put together a list like this. I’m more hard-wired towards Rock music personally and none of these made my cut, though I do like that Chris Stapleton song. A few observations:
  1. Approximately 0 of your picks are from groups. Almost all are solo artists.
  2. Astounding what passes as “Alternative” these days.
  3. Music videos are mostly junk that really distort the way people feel about the actual sound. The one for Glimpse Of Us being case in point.
Posted Report
Mr.Myoozik

Music Connoisseur
@Pinto Bean
The thing is, this list is for “hit music” and from the 100 biggest songs that became a hit by the website Billboard across radio, sales and streams from places like Spotify, Youtube and Tik Tok. Since I am a follower of modern music and other music critics do the same where they post the 10 best and worst hit songs of a current year, I’m just giving my own opinion on it.
Posted Report
Mr.Myoozik

Music Connoisseur
@Pinto Bean
My personal top 10 of the songs that made Billboard’s 100 biggest songs of 2022. I’m also making my personal bottom 10 from that Billboard list as well.
Posted Report
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide