Ask the mods anything

Cyan Lightning
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab

The Prodigy Unicorn
@ᏰᎯᎠᎻᎬᎯᏒᎿ  
Well, first you need to search for a genie to get 3 wishes, and then you 3 wishes for.

01 Able to change to human and ghost form at anytime you want.

02 A beautiful ghost that you can marry, may I suggest, a wives of Henry VIII.

03 As the former ghost boyfriend/husband/special one to not hunt you ever.

@Sparx  
CaptainXtra
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

STOP KOSA!
@Derpy Whooves  
Writing a story with no female characters in modern day setting without it coming off as sexist, can it be done?

I have like 50+ characters which are all male in it and I’m worried that it could catch flak for omitting the female gender entirely.

Female characters are just as common in cartoons, shows, and comics as Male ones nowadays so I feel like something that’s a sausage fest may be a big target.

Update:  
Ok Mods your absolute silence is kinda scaring me.
Derpy Whooves
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Looking For My Doctor
@CaptainXtra  
If there isn’t naturally a female character in the story, adding one for a sense of diversity will make the character not ring true.

That said, if you read the original Expanse books, IIRC, volume 1 has only two female characters in it, and they largely exist as love interests or plot points for the male characters and only one of those survives to book 2. By comparison, the TV series had a much more fleshed out cast with a much more even balance, and some of the female characters in the TV series are some of the more interesting characters in modern SciFi - even characters with only a few speaking lines are incredibly well grounded in the story (in the TV version - the first book in the series was largely a puking space zombies thriller, with some Walter Jon Williams style space naval battles.

Any SciFi from the 50s will be remarkably similar, with even seminal works like Forbidden Planet casting only a single female character, whose role is mostly to “confuse the sailors” of the spaceship.

So, it your cast is all men, write the story. If some of those characters could be female, you can swap them out when the story is over, but unless there’s a reason with in the story for them to be female, or if there’s no reason in the character’s narrative arc to be female, then they’ll just be cardboard cutouts stuffed into the story for diversity’s sake.

And maybe that there’s no women in the story is, in and of itself, a part of the story.

Anyway, if you read Leviathan Wakes, the novel, then watch Leviathan Wakes the TV show, it’s kind of a masters class in how some fairly simple rewrites not only can expand the range of characters, but also create some truly interesting and engaging characters at the same time, which will only make your fiction all the more interesting.

For another comparison, read Rendezvous With Rama book 1, in which Clarke was just experimenting with female characters at all, and Rendezvous with Rama book II, then 3 “The Garden of Rama” and book 4 “Rama Revealed” where the story comes to focus on one primary character Nicole Wakefield and her … let’s call them “adventures” to avoid spoilers. Gentry Lee wrote most of those later works, and it’s fascinating to see how Gentry updated the storyline and crafted a female centered storyline from what was original an almost entirely male cast. And, to be fair, even Clarke’s original characterization was almost pancake thin for the first book. Except for two characters, most of the cast could have been replaced with robots on wheels with no more personality than a toaster. So, it’s kind of an interesting set of stories in that it started out hard SciFi and then gained a social perspective, which went on to become largely the focus of the conclusion.

All of that said, if you want to read some books where the female characters are integral to the plot, check out Walter Jon Williams’ Dread Empire’s Fall, or one of Iain Banks’ Culture series, like Use Of Weapons or Surface Details - those two books actually are pieces of the same story arc, so reading first one then the other will give you a great breath of interesting and very well crafted characters. But, as great as I think they are, they might “do you an injury”, as the British bookseller warned me when I bought them.
CaptainXtra
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

STOP KOSA!
@Derpy Whooves  
The thing about my story is that it takes place in a country that’s always been solely populated by male immigrants and has never had a single female resident.

Men are drawn to the country by a “Vision” that compels them to travel there.

Women don’t have this Vision and therefore lack a reason to go there.

I DO have a narrative reason for the absence of Women.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@CaptainXtra  
In that case, don’t worry about it. A woman being in the story at that point would have to, in and of themselves, be a major plot point. So don’t.

Unless it’s something like StarWars (the original) and you need a princess and a mother character just because you need a princess and a mother character.

Stories with few or no females in them really are a thing. And its better to not have any females, especially if the story has that as a narrative arc, than adding a female character to avoid a sausage fest, like the old Tom Swift books.

And maybe book 2 can be more along the lines of the original 1987 Predator movie, where there is really only one female in it but she’s actually important to the story.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
And, if you want an example of why just shoehorning in a female character can hurt a story (or, at least, make it completely disassociated from any kind of reality) watch “The Maze Runner”, where there is, literally, only one female character but in a world full of teenage boys going through puberty no one seems to even notice, literally, the only woman in the the entire world of the movie. The author apparently originally had a plan for the only woman in the story (spoilers) but to keep the whole thing rated YA they basically just ignored the horny elephant in the room.
Cyan Lightning
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab

The Prodigy Unicorn
@CaptainXtra

@CaptainXtra

I just don’t get about all of this “sexist” non sense. I mean what the fuck that even mean? If we want to go with dictionary definition of “sexist” then it’s about story portraying women as slave or something that make them inferior to men. But then again what about those historical accurate story? Like maybe story about a boy who compete in olympic on ancient greece. Since based on history, any women that got caught participating heck even watching olympic would punish by being thrown out of cliff. Removing that element will make it less historical accurate.

So unless then then no. But then again, why bother? Seriously why bother? The most important thing of the story is well, the story. If you can make audience got the immersion as you intended. Then mission accomplished. I personally hate the forced diversity trend that going around on the media. If you want to add diversity like adding female lead, then make it likeable and enjoyable, not just adding it for the sake of adding it.

Bottom line is, just do your own thing.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide