This Pony Does Not Exist Editor - Help wanted

arfa

Hey everyone. I noticed the ongoing vigorous tagging discussion about TPDNE and figured I’d muddy the waters further by releasing the pony editor. But, I need some help.

I used Ganspace on the model to determine a bunch of latent directions and set up a notebook with sliders for each of them, but now someone needs to go through and figure out what each of the sliders actually do. I figured that’s something the community could help out with.

Anyway, if you’re interested in helping out (and getting to play around with the editor early), you can follow these instructions:

1. Head over to https://make.pony.pictures to open the editor notebook. Click Runtime at the top and then Run All. Wait 5 minutes or so for it to load. There’s a video with instructions that you can watch in the meantime.

2. Once the editor loads, pick one of the sliders and try to determine what it does by seeing what changes in the picture when you slide it left or right. Make sure you test it out with several different base ponies by changing the “seed” slider at the top - some things will do different things for different ponies.

3. When you think you’ve figured out what a slider does, select that slider’s name in the dropdown box at the top and then type a new name describing what it actually does, and click Rename. This will rename the slider.

4. Rinse and repeat for different sliders.

5. When you’re done, run the cell below the editor (by clicking the play button to the left of the cell) to have it spit out your slider config. Copy it and paste it here for others to test out.

6. If you want to test out someone else’s slider config, you can paste it in between the """ in the cell above the editor, then run that cell, and then rerun the editor cell.

Hopefully if a few people are willing to help out, we can narrow down what each slider does and end up with a slider config that makes sense and lets people easily customize their own ponies.

There are a lot more sliders that I’m not showing by default (it gets slow if you load too many at once), but I figured I’d start with the first 96 and see what happens.

Also, feel free to argue about what each of the sliders do in this thread, I guess. It can be a bit tricky to figure out, since sometimes one slider seems to change multiple things, or multiple sliders seem to do the same thing.

Good luck.
sapphie
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab

On it! The first few are pretty obvious so far, but my experience with autoencoders makes me a tad nervous about the last ones haha
Cloppershy
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Pone Addict
Thanks for making this! I’ll take a look at this later (probably tomorrow). I like being able to test out all the unlabeled sliders.
arfa

What does the “truncation” slider do?

Truncation changes how far an image can be from the “average pony”.

Low values (like 0.4) will produce better looking but less unique images.  
full

High values (closer to 1) will produce more unique images, but they’re more likely to have… problems.  
full
sapphie
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab

@PawelS  
Yeah, it’s almost never clear-cut, since there’s some level of correlation between certain features (an artist who draws bigger ears is likely to draw bigger eyes, too), but I think ear size is the one that changes the most
PawelS
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Silly Druid
I wanted to check the other sliders, but it seems the server is quite busy, and I have to wait in a queue.

Also I tried to run the code locally, but it turns out my processor (which is quite old) doesn’t support the AVX instructions…
PawelS
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Silly Druid
I’m working on naming the sliders that are currently unnamed. I found some interesting stuff there, including a “Pony Life” slider (c11.2).

Edit: I think I found a bug in your editor: when I click on “reset sliders”, it hides the bottom part of the UI, with the “save” and “load” buttons.
arfa

Edit: I think I found a bug in your editor: when I click on “reset sliders”, it hides the bottom part of the UI, with the “save” and “load” buttons.

Whoops. Fixed, hopefully.
PawelS
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Silly Druid
Here are the results of my research. I renamed all the sliders, even the ones that were already named, so you can have more versions to choose from.

sliders.txt

(R) means a reversed effect, and (S) means a small effect.
Background Pony #9B66
I’d love to try this, but if I say “Run All,” it just gives me the message, “This notebook is shared for writing with more than one user. Automatically running multiple cells is temporarily disabled due to possible insecure code modifications outside of this session. Run each cell of this notebook manually using Shift+Enter or the run button.” Is there any fix for that?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide