Surprisingly negative votes

SMT5015

Hi, sorry if topics like this are not allowed, but I’m not just complaining, I’m in complete “WTF”.

Not so long ago I started to post there some arts what I have stored for quite long. When most of them drown in the depths of main page with under +20 raing and a couple of negative votes, I considered it normal because all my previous art here had the same fate. But then I posted this and got ten negative votes. TEN, CARL! And I totally can’t see what is wrong with the picture itself. It seems not so different from any of the previous. So what is the problem?
Clear Vision
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Charitable Contributor - Contributed to a series of art packs that helped raise over $10,000 for charity
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Artist -

Petrolhead Artist
@SMT5015  
I’m not sure. There are trolls and possibly bots that go around downvoting almost everything, even objectively good pieces of art. One thing that has bothered me about Derpibooru is that because you can upvote, downvote and favourite without even opening up the picture’s page to see the image in full resolution, the description and any comments (which you mentioned), it causes people to be less inclined to fully engage with the picture if they like it, and make it easier to mass downvote things if they don’t.

After looking through your images, I will say that there has been pictures that you’ve drawn that are better IMO, but that still doesn’t explain it.
AwkwardLuna
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Never go full Awkward
Proportions are distorted, and it’s visually messy.

Plus, there seems to be a psycological thing where people are more likely to downvote if there’s a lot of downvotes already.
literallywho?
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Economist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

id say is that this site has some sort of “high standart” when it comes to art

i mean, there have been people complaining because the featured image at the time was of “bad quality”, so, the same could happend for regular uploads
AwkwardLuna
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Never go full Awkward
And almost NEVER any hints what makes it creepy.

The proportions are odd, the soft fuzzy look to everything looks unnatural, the eyes and expressions look lifeless and dead, and its hard to tell what exactly are they supposed to be doing.
Darkest Lunar Flower
Luna - For Patreon supporters
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Bronze Bit -
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab

Depart peasants
@Soobel  
Lack of eyebrows, some styles can get away with it like The Simpsons but others need eyebrows.

I’m personally borderline when it comes to the necessity of brows, If I forget eyebrows my characters…well they tend to have comically shocked expectations. XD

I know it’s facial because when you upload close ups of the face of your characters the upvotes decrease dramatically.

My solution? Look what gives more upvotes, see what facial features and styles make the crowd go crazy.

I would have said that it was ummm how big your characters are but I actually think that’s the only thing helping your art due to certain interests and fantasy’s in this site.

Perhaps you should look into other artist who are into semi realism who have a nice face up in their pones.
Darkest Lunar Flower
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Bronze Bit -

Depart peasants
Oooh very important their is little eye-whites (sclera) visable, this gives the illusion that they are of lower intelligence and more animalistic, the eyes are the window of the soul take a look these.  
full  
In this it makes use of eyes brows and more human like eyes, allowing for a variety of facial expressions without falling into uncanny valley.

full  
full

This is a great example of eye whites indicating human sentience. The audience knows that when the moms eyes (the bear) go all black that she has become all bear, that she has changed and is no longer able to function like a human.  
A larger head to body ratio that allows for more brain space also gives a creature seemingly more intelligence and feeling and ultimately makes them more relatable to the audience.

In your drawing rarity seems to lack brain space, and many others in your characters. It makes her look dull and slow witted, like she’s about to take a dump and eat some hay or something and leave what makes her human like behind.
Soobel
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -

more amore best amore
Seems like i must elaborate: Aside LunarFlower (and now with Awkwardluna too) there i got NONE of hints how to do better :D

-Seems i must press more to facial expressions. I did a lot of creatures to Lucasarts Outlaws. Due low resolutions (Height of the sprites are around 100 pixels) There was face not very important but when you must draw around 100 frames for each characters then you learn a lot of anatomy. (Why correct anatomy make ponies proportions “odd?”)

-Im not sure if i draw only thin ponies then i drown into downvotes. Seems like mine are too skinny for them who appreciate fat ones. (example: Big Cadance)

-Lets see what happen to this closeup…

Eyebrows on Disneys horses seems odd to me, but that bear’s expressions are closer to that what i want.

I watch some artists who does realistic things but they seems too bobmed with uncanny valley tags. Bluespaceling for example.
Darkest Lunar Flower
Bronze Bit -

Depart peasants
This bluespaceling person kind of has that issue too. Especially that rarity they made. On the eyebrows maybe a thinner or lighter color would work. Rather than thick caterpillar brows. :p
🐴
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
@Soobel  
The critique I’d give is that her face is not horse-like enough to match the realistic body. It’s the opposite criticism I give to most anthro art. My suggested changes are to give her a longer muzzle and smaller eyes and (optionally) beautiful rectangular horse pupils.
deactivated103f39d

Hi, sorry if topics like this are not allowed, but I’m not just complaining, I’m in complete “WTF”.
Not so long ago I started to post there some arts what I have stored for quite long. When most of them drown in the depths of main page with under +20 raing and a couple of negative votes, I considered it normal because all my previous art here had the same fate. But then I posted this and got ten negative votes. TEN, CARL! And I totally can’t see what is wrong with the picture itself. It seems not so different from any of the previous. So what is the problem?

That picture is cool. The devs won’t do anything about the downvote system because people would complain that they can’t troll.
Soobel
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -

more amore best amore
I know how a horse look like but i think Little Ponies are rather far of horses both in body build and headshape.  
https://derpibooru.org/images/2488827

Now i see that fat Luna’s left eye are not very right, especially inner corner. Its not easy to draw them right.

Minus-votes are painful but other option are zero votes and lack of feedback in general. I think latter are worse, its not force to draw better or even draw any more, it will give impression like site are dead and people left it.
Stoopedhooy
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Sad Confused Artist.
@deactivated103f39d

Not only they will complain…  
Actually, places with no downvotes are filled with EXTREMELY hateful comments as people have no way to vent their personal dislike for an art.  
So downvotes are here just for mad people to blow off their steam.
🐴
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
@Soobel  
I hope you don’t mind some critique on this next image being posted here rather than as a direct comment on the image.

First, those are some beautiful legs and hooves.

Second, directly adapting FiM-style heads to 3-D may be a task that is guaranteed to end up in the uncanny valley for many. In the show itself, the ponies change their skull geometry depending on their angle in relation to the camera. Namely, the eyes migrate from the side of the head when viewing the side of a pony to the front of their face when viewing the pony head-on.  
In the linked image, Tomato Delight has the most natural-looking face. The shading emphasizes Mrs. Cake’s small muzzle. The show gets away with the extremely small muzzles because of its overall lack of detail: there’s just not enough there to tell the viewer “something’s not quite right”.  
The critique I have for Derpy is that her head appears to be in the same plane as her shoulder. The way her mane terminates at her shoulder gives the impression that her neck emerges from her left shoulder instead of smoothly originating between her shoulders. Letting her mane drape over her shoulder and some shading tweaks will move Derpy’s head so it’s in line with her waist.

Finally, did I mention that I like how you connected the back of the hooves to the legs?
d1ckbitch
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Artist -

Doughnuts Worshipper
Finally, did I mention that I like how you connected the back of the hooves to the legs?

I know @Soobel ‘s art since a while now, but it’s the first time I noticed they actually have… thumbs

Better than magnet hooves lmao
Stoopedhooy
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Sad Confused Artist.
@d1ckbitch

Hah, they look like goat/cow/moose dewclaws actually! Except dewclaws come in pairs. Pretty cute overall, I love when people add elements of classical unicorns to ponies.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide