I Want to Get into Digital Art

Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Cosmas-the-Explorer  
Actually, if you have a tablet use that. You can get graphics apps on tablets for pennies compared to desktop hardware and apps and you can make really good art with them.

But to answer your question better it’s helpful to know more about the kind of drawing you want to do. For example if you like doodling and sketching or painting then Photoshop is a fine choice. It’s what I use, with a Huion graphics monitor so I can draw right on the image. Makes it almost like drawing on a tablet, except it’s the size of a monitor.

On the other hand, if you want to make vectors Photoshop is a waste of money.

So, what kinds of things do you want to draw?
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
Doodling and sketching or painting is my thing. I want to make art with a story behind it. Maybe a comic. Or simply beautiful art.

edit: Actually I’m wondering is there an advantage to vectors vs sketched art? Are vectors easier to make? Would they look cheap in more emotional and darker works?
d1ckbitch
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Artist -

Doughnuts Worshipper
Vectors are appropriate if you want to stay close to the show’s style, and pixel maps art can allow more realism if you need it.

Vector art can be made with no tablet, only a mouse, if you don’t want to invest into hardware yet. Regular digital art is harder to do without it.

Try things, upgrade the software / the hardware when you need it, exploring on your own is important too.
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
@Ciaran  
Getting back to you on doodling and sketching, are there other options you can think of? Pros and cons of each program? I do have Autodesk Sketchbook although it seems to be pretty cheap. And what is Photoshop’s greatest advantage?
d1ckbitch
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Artist -

Doughnuts Worshipper
@Cosmas-the-Explorer  
Good luck though, the learning curve with this one is steep (maybe it is for all vector softwares? Hard to tell)

I’m using krita for sketching (and lining and finishing), same thing about being free
Soobel
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Artist -

more amore best amore
One of the best programs are clip studio. Only disadvantage near photoshop is: you cant make brush’s brightness change randomly or by pressure. It was good feature drawing grass fast. But Clip’s interface are super good, specially with tablet, keyboard needed only forbname files and layers.
CrystalightX
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

@Ciaran
And what is Photoshop’s greatest advantage?

Imo it’s  
  • A powerful brush engine  
  • Customization by third-party extensions, scripts, actions, patterns, etc  
  • Workspace customization  
  • Layer styles  
  • Smart objects that can be used with filters  
  • Photo manipulation tools.

Photoshop also has some vector tools.  
    Google any of this if you’re interested.
Soobel
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Artist -

more amore best amore
And with last update of Clip Studio Ps lost most of its advantages. Now can import even Ps brushes to Clip :)
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@CrystalightRocket  
Also a lot of places you might work will see Adobe experience and get excited, while you might have to explain how other apps are corollaries.

But, I got into it back in the 90’s, when we still had Aldus and the world was swimming in drawing apps, like Corel and Freehand, and people were still writing their own PostScript for sick gradients. I’m glad we’re getting back to a time when there are so many options. The early 2000’s felt like if you didn’t know Illustrator no one wanted you.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide