How does mass down-voting people's art prove?

Zimbeanie

It just makes a person feel terrible, there shouldn’t be a negative score other than for the quality of the art itself.  
I just wish people would be more reasonable.
Background Pony #9098
@Zimbeanie  
I honestly can’t tell if you’re completely unaware of the fact that there are legit reasons why art gets downvoted in the first place.
d1ckbitch
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Artist -

Doughnuts Worshipper
Sometimes mass downvoting is part of the joke, see >>186436

Sometimes a picture is so offensive, it gets downvoted to oblivion, proving to the author that their trolling intents worked just as planned ( Coinpo did some interesting examples)

In any case, downvotes are an important communication tool, as it allow oneself to express a negative opinion about a picture without actually hurting the author with direct words. There’s been a try to replace it by a “hiding picture” feature some month/years ago, but this didn’t gained the support of the community, so they reintroduced it.
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Zimbeanie  
As someone who draws, if I see a lot of downvotes on an image that I made because I was looking for an audience for it, I know I didn’t find an audience for it so I look for feedback about what to change, or just draw something else. Don’t ever just be drawing one thing. It can make them too “precious” and you don’t have something to switch to if one thing or the other doesn’t work.

If I see a lot of downvotes on something I drew because I was practicing a new tool or something I drew because I was bored I don’t care. I also don’t care about upvotes on those any more than “Yay! Other people thought it was silly too.”

If you don’t want downvotes, use a site like DeviantArt or Facebook - you can control who posts what comments there, too, and hide comments if you don’t like them.

If you want to see what a wide variety of people think about your art, post it here.
HumanoSiniestro

Invisible Enemy
There’s a lot of amazing gore images, but people just downvote those images because their feelings are more important than the quality of the art. They automactly downvote an image when one of their favorite characters are dead. Is not fair because, how I said, the drawing is amazing itself. Sadly, they ignore completely that.
d1ckbitch
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Artist -

Doughnuts Worshipper
@HumanoSiniestro  
It seems like you’re using gore as an example here. Gore is a theme, one of the controversial one, sure, but it’s only a part of a piece of work. One of the other part is the artist’s technical skills. People may dislike the theme so much they feel compelled to express their unapproval by downvoting. It may seem not fair, sure, but…

For you, would it not be fair for any greatly done picture, independantly of it’s theme ?

Gore is not the only questionable theme around here. Actually, there’s lot of them. Some of them implying a few specific body secretions, or politics, etc.

Of course, a poorly done picture showing something gross is doomed to being downvoted to oblivion, which is perfectly normal. But what I mean is, great technique will only help a bit for compensating a unpopular theme, not magically save the score…
HumanoSiniestro

Invisible Enemy
@d1ckbitch  
You know, the theme of the massive downvotes is really hard to understand, and I tried to aport something to the theme based in my experience. And also, you’re right, is not fair that an art get massive downvotes just because… Because nothing? Independantly of it’s theme, if the drawing is awesome, I don’t get a reason to get all the hate.
d1ckbitch
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Doughnuts Worshipper
@HumanoSiniestro  
Actually I was saying the opposite hehe. If some great piece of art shows something a lot of people dislike or are offended by, it may still get all the downvotes, and the art quality will usually not be enough for counter-balancing the score…

Don’t know about the fairness of it… Most mass-downvoted pictures have been made on purpose, or at least the author knew they were navigating in dangerous waters, and probably expected some negative reaction from the community as a whole. I can’t think of any theme for a picture which could trigger an unexpected surprise mass downvoting tbh. May happen, but it seems rare.
Ranch
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Dragonball Girlfriends
Downvotes can suck and often a large dump of downvotes is just a matter of bad luck. But at the same time I think it sucks more to take downvotes away.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide