How can I improve my art?

Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Whistle Blossom  
Just keep drawing. Draw, draw, draw, and then draw some more.

Like, even with one drawing. A lot of times setting something aside and then reworking it a few days later will really help it come together. Then a month later rework it some more. Always have some drawings that you are working on, and when those are how you’d like them, draw some more.

I wrote some more about reworking sketches until they’re where you want them to be here, with some examples.

I find it helps to look at my hero’s sketchbooks, too. Seeing them floundering and struggling with a pose helps me not give up when I’m having trouble getting something the way I want it.
HumanoSiniestro

Invisible Enemy
An advice by an ex-artist:

If you can find references, use them. Some people say the references are useless or they make you someone dependent of them. But is not true, they could be truly useful for someone without experience with the anatomy, especially if you want to draw ponies or humans. Humans are easier to find references; In DeviantArt, in Google, Pinterest, etcetera. But the ponies are another theme, you’ll find horse references in your firsts attemps.

Also, I recommend to use ClipStudio® Paint, is a better software than Paint Tool SAI®, and is avaliable in MacOS, not only in Windows.
HumanoSiniestro

Invisible Enemy
@Soobel  
Yes, I said it is avaliable in MacOS and not only in Windows, which means it is avaliable for Windows too.  
But the difference is that Paint Tool SAI is an exclusive software for Windows, not for MacOS or Linux.
d1ckbitch
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Artist -

Doughnuts Worshipper
I don’t think the software really matters when beginning art. Unless it’s severely limited, of course. But when starting from scratch, first step to reach is to actually become able to translate the idea from your head to some canvas, and for that, even a pencil and paper may be enough.

Then you discover how much transform tools are great for fine-tuning the result of the said idea, so you try using some software. Then you realize you need better brushes and rotating canvas and high-depth colour precision, thus it’s time to upgrade to another, better software. But the important thing is to try things and see how it goes…
Clear Vision
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Charitable Contributor - Contributed to a series of art packs that helped raise over $10,000 for charity
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Artist -

Petrolhead Artist
@Whistle Blossom

When it comes to improving your work, I personally believe that being able to effectively reflect on the quality of your art while being honest to yourself is the biggest thing, followed by knowing what you’re aiming for style wise, and then followed by being able to take good critique and act on it.

With that being said, I’ve taken a look at some of your art on Derpi. Here’s what I think Whistle: the biggest thing you need to work on is anatomy and line quality. The lines for both your digital and traditional stuff are very wavy, and because it’s present in your traditional work where line instability caused by the program/tablet isn’t a factor, that tells me that it’s just your hand being quite shaky. Practice drawing freehand lines and curves in order to build up the muscle memory needed to be able to draw smoothly.

For anatomy, I can’t be of much help since I primarily draw anthro ponies but there’s plenty of good refs for feral pony anatomy around. The last piece of advice I can give to you specifically is to not underestimate the importance of construction. It’s something that I think a lot of artists overlook, and if I had to take a guess at why, they might think it’s not relevant to them because they don’t intend to do perspective drawing. Don’t do that, it’s almost always relevant, especially for characters.

Just take things step by step so that you don’t overwhelm yourself. Focus on improving one aspect of your art at a time.

@HumanoSiniestro  
Some people say the references are useless or they make you someone dependent of them. But is not true, they could be truly useful for someone without experience with the anatomy, especially if you want to draw ponies or humans.

References are always useful, but I think the one thing that people forget to mention alongside this point is that when you’re looking at a reference, you should be aiming to reconstruct what you see, not copying what you see. When you have the mindset of reconstructing a reference, you’re analysing things on a deeper level rather than just taking what you see at face value.

@HumanoSiniestro  
Also, I recommend to use ClipStudio® Paint, is a better software than Paint Tool SAI®, and is avaliable in MacOS, not only in Windows.

A tool is only as good as the person who uses it, but once you reach the point where you know what you’re doing for the most part, better tools can help you produce better results. I started out with Medibang, but I eventually tried out both CSP and SAI. I preferred CSP, and once I got used to it, I noticed that my shading improved due to better blending tools, and lineart was much less painful to do because of the vector line editing tools it has which allow you to adjust your lines after you drawn them.
HumanoSiniestro

Invisible Enemy
@Clear Vision  
Thanks for adding the compliments to my comment. My english is not that good, and I have problems writing a good advice for the rookie. Also, thanks for add the detail of not coping, only analise for the references. Some people forget that the references are… Well, references after all, not something to copy and paste in your drawing. Is necessary to make it in your own style. Complicated, but necessary for the progress.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide