Artists you miss.

Background Pony #45B4
@Peroxy  
Fuck, I hate when people do that. If someone wants to move on, very well then. But WHY do they have to delete the content that their fans loved and supported them for?  
That’s so scummy.
Background Pony #45B4
@Background Pony #3F22  
When something is released for the public it becomes part of our society’s cultural heritage. Going in and deleting everything just because “it’s their art” is a really despicable move.  
Imagine if Da’Vinci came back and burned the Mona Lisa just because he doesn’t like it anymore. Would you be okay with that? - I know the comparison doesn’t work exactly, but you get what I mean.
Background Pony #3F22
@Background Pony #45B4  
Nice sense of entitlement there. I forgot artists exists only to produce content for strangers to use and aren’t, you know, artists with their own body of work that they produced themselves. Its their choice. Unless there’s unfinished commissions they don’t owe anyone anything.
Background Pony #45B4
@Background Pony #45B4
Nice sense of entitlement there. I forgot artists exists only to produce content for strangers to use and aren’t, you know, artists with their own body of work that they produced themselves. Its their choice. Unless there’s unfinished commissions they don’t owe anyone anything.

I like how you dodged the Da Vinci question and instead throw around the entitlement buzzword. It seems deep down you know the answer but are afraid to admit it publicly because it goes against what you are trying to argue :)

@Terton  
I’m pretty calm. Is there anything wrong with discussing stuff?  
WHAT is drawn doesn’t actually matter when addressing the behavior this discussion is about
ArrJaySketch
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Artist -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

@Background Pony #45B4  
I think we all feel that pain when art we love disappears forever; I think we can agree about that.

There is an important distinction, though; the art is copyright protection exists automatically when a work is created. The artists owns their works, and even if it is posted in a public place, the artist still owns their work. Rights have not been transferred to the public unless specifically stated by the copyright holder.

And there’s another important bit that people overlook: one cannot control anyone else. Forcing someone to do anything against their will is coercion. Responding to an artist with force or threats most likely will make the artist feel like they are even more justified in taking down their art; this definitely won’t make them feel like it’s fun or worthwhile anymore.

It’s a little counterintuitive but patience, kindness, and empathy can go really far. The reason usually isn’t to make fans feel bad, it’s usually a complicated personal reason. (Source: I took down art myself in another fandom a long time ago for some really deeply complicated personal reasons. Hurting others was the farthest thing from my mind. In truth, back then, I was really hurting badly myself and just wanted to disappear. There’s a lot more to it than that, but I’m sure you get the idea. Eventually, I had a change of heart and re-posted much of my art in that fandom years later, after I resolved some of my personal issues. Some people may never re-post their art, though, and that’s OK.)
Derpy Whooves
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Looking For My Doctor
@Background Pony #45B4  
Leonardo left fewer than 30 paintings, and most of them were never finished.

He was an experimenter, a perfectionist, and a procrastinator. He repeatedly painted over paintings over and over - destroying his previous work as he experimented with new looks or new backgrounds or different lighting.

He “deleted” the Mona Lisa repeatedly over the 16 years he fiddled with it, trying to perfect it, reworking the background and adding layer after layer after layer of new art on top of it.

Not only WOULD he delete the Mona Lisa, he actually did - repeatedly - trying to perfect it.

Leonardo was almost never happy with his own work, and even after something he’d created was “complete” he’d redo it again and again.

If Leonardo was an artist today and had art on this website it is without question that he’d be one of the most prolific pro-takedown artists on the site. He would be one of those people who took down commissions he did for other people because he wanted to fix it some more or because it wasn’t perfect, or because one person downvoted it.

Beyond that, if an artist wants their art taken down, it’s their choice. They retain their rights.
Background Pony #45B4
@ArrJaySketch  
Don’t get me wrong, I can absolutely understand if someone wants to leave it all behind and move on. There can be plenty of reasons for that and I am in no position nor do I mean to judge that part. What I mourn is what you also pointed out, the deletion of everything, burning everything on the way out.  
That’s a selfish act* and specifically for derpibooru also unneeded as there is a way to entirely remove your artist tag and have it replaced with something new that cannot be traced back to your old identity. I don’t know how exactly it works, never had to use it, maybe someone who knows can chime in on this.

*I’m well aware of the irony here, saying they shouldn’t delete their stuff when they move on is also selfish. But it’s on a bigger scale, that’s the selfishness of many many people who supported that artist along their way.

@Derpy Whooves  
Good to know. But he never had an easy access to a public audience as today with the internet, so his previous versions of the Mona Lisa were likely never of public interest? Or did he go and paint over or destroy pieces that were already out in the world for the public eye all the time?  
What I’m getting at: If he did that with art that’s already in the public eye and of public interest, it would be just as shitty as when pony artists - or really any other artists - do it.

Again: I doubt that you guys who say this is an okay thing for an artist to do would actually be okay with it if something of the magnitude of the Mona Lisa was deleted to stay with that example. So what makes it okay for smaller scale pony art?  
I just have the audacity to say it as I’m sure many see it.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@Background Pony #45B4  
Let me try another tact.

What makes it ok for any scale art is that artists reserve their rights.

Please stop calling artists shitty because they exercise their rights.

If you asked us to take down all of your art, we would ask you to reconsider and would offer you other options, but if you wanted your art deleted and were not interested in the alternatives then we would take down all of your art.

I think it would be very shitty of us to refuse your request, given that you would just be exercising your own rights.

Should you do it? I think not, and I hope not, but everyone has different circumstances. Some art is taken down because the artist is trying to get a new job, some art is taken down because the artist is being stalked or harassed because of past art they did. Sometimes artists just don’t want to be associated with it, and their style is so strong that anonymizing it doesn’t help.

The important thing is not why artists ask for takedowns, but that we recognize that we operate in an environment where artists retain their rights. And if we suddenly stopped respecting artist’s rights, and for whatever reason refused to take down their copyrighted art, then I would find it hard to imagine that artists would want their art here.

And that seems like a much shittier situation than we are already in.
Background Pony #45B4
@Derpy Whooves  
I get everything you say, I understand what situation YOU as a platform are in. And I’m not attacking you for doing what you do either.

I’m attacking the artists for what I consider shitty behavior. Nobody LIKES when people do that but for some reason many don’t seem to want to admit to that.  
I’m perfectly fine being the asshole to say that out loud while many seem to like to hide behind the “but it’s their right” veil.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@Background Pony #45B4  
Personally, I think it all works better if the artist gives their art to the community and lets go of it. Trying to cling to art that you’ve released is just a recipe for sadness. You can’t control it once you’ve let go of it any more than you can tell people what to think of something you’ve made.

But, the whole delete or not delete for me is like if you throw a party at your house. If it’s 4AM and you need the party to end then you can ask people to leave. Some people won’t want to leave, they’ll say it’s shitty that you’re ending the party. But it’s your house. From an art standpoint, I think it all works better if the artist makes a house, throws the party, then leaves. But some artists are afraid they won’t ever have another house.

So, personally I think just letting go is a better approach - if you don’t own it, then it can become whatever the audience makes of it. And the audience will always make something of it that you didn’t expect or may not even want.

Still, as a practical matter of artistic freedom and individual liberty in a world where we live in a society, I think artists must be able to destroy what they create if they choose to do so.

The community doesn’t own what the artist makes. The artist does. And too often if the community owns the artist’s work, then you end up with situations where the community owns the artist and has too much power to dictate the art. The Soviet Union or Maoist China are extreme examples, but you end up with art pleasing the community instead of pleasing the artist, and instead of the artist acting from their core you end up with the community forcing it’s desire on art.

“He who can destroy a thing, can control a thing” – Dune, Frank Herbert.

And for art, I think it’s better when the artists control their own art.
Background Pony #3F22
@Background Pony #45B4  
You don’t speak for everyone, buddy. Plenty if people have expressed that they don’t like art being deleted, but respect the decision of the artist involved. It’s not that they’re being polite but secretly hate the artist or think they’re selfish. I’m sure some are, but believe it or not someone can respect a decision they disagree with and not be and asshole, like you’re proudly being. Don’t pretend you’re some voice for honesty here, you simply don’t like your fap material disappearing and want someone to be angry at in a situation that has no real winners.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
@Background Pony #3F22

Bro if you’re using an Apple computer, you can easily archive stuff using Safari. That’s what I’m doing. The only disadvantage is that it’s a little iffy with webm files at the moment.
Background Pony #45B4
The community doesn’t own what the artist makes. The artist does. And too often if the community owns the artist’s work, then you end up with situations where the community owns the artist and has too much power to dictate the art. The Soviet Union or Maoist China are extreme examples, but you end up with art pleasing the community instead of pleasing the artist, and instead of the artist acting from their core you end up with the community forcing it’s desire on art.

I see what you’re getting at with an extreme example but that’s a big stretch here, honestly. Not deleting one’s opus when moving on doesn’t equate or lead to a dictatorship or regime that decides what is or isn’t acceptable in the community. It’s just less of a slap in the face of everyone who supported that artist along their way.

Actually, one distinction to make here: Did they delete everything without prior notice? <- Bad move  
Or did they announce “hey, I’ll delete EVERYTHING in x days” so anyone could make backups of whatever they wanted? <- This is totally fine

Btw apropros a previous comment you made: So when they requested the full takedown, you (as in Derpibooru) probably offered them the “we can hide your art behind an anonymous tag” option? And then they still said “I don’t care, delete it all”? Really sad.

Still, as a practical matter of artistic freedom and individual liberty in a world where we live in a society, I think artists must be able to destroy what they create if they choose to do so.

That’s where I disagree. Sometimes the creation needs to be protected from the creator, heh. (Just look at what happened to the old Star Wars movies)

@Background Pony #3F22  
Honestly I don’t even know what the artist drew in this case. I probably saw some of it and maybe even fapped to some but I didn’t really lose anything, personally.  
I am more upset about the fact that this is happening at all. And has happened plenty of times before. And yes in some occasions this has affected my fap material. But whatever they drew, it’s ALWAYS sad when they decide to kill it all.  
Btw, I’m begrudgingly accepting it, too. After all there’s nothing I can do about it. But that doesn’t mean that I cannot voice my displeasure with it, no?

@Background Pony #3F22  
@Background Pony #45B4
It’s not that they’re being polite but secretly hate the artist or think they’re selfish.

I don’t hate the artist and I don’t call artists shitty, either. I call that MOVE shitty and hate it. Good people do shitty things all the time.  
It IS a selfish move, too. The only point of contention is whether you are okay with that or not. I’m not :)
Skoon
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Magnificence - Artist with 100+ Safe/Suggestive images with over 100 upvotes, and 5+ Questionable/Explicit images with over 350 upvotes
The Power of Love - Made a piece of artwork loved by 1000 users
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag

Too tired to care
@Background Pony #45B4  
The difference between Star Wars and a drawing is important to remember though. That being, a drawing belongs to its creator exclusively unless it is a commission or somebody else’s OC. Said drawing is often free to view as well.

Star Wars, a movie, was created by dozens of people collaborating. To view it legally cost money.
Background Pony #3F22
@Background Pony #45B4  
While you certainly are entitled to your opinion, and I’m glad you “begrudgingly” accept the artist’s decision, your reasoning as to why it’s wrong still makes you come off as an entitled twat. To say it’s “selfish” for a creator to do with their work what they want us basically saying “if I like something, it better be made available to me whenever I want it” simply because you viewed it, not because you put care and effort into it.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
Artists take down their art for a variety of reasons, and some of those reasons are very legitimate and they are not being selfish in doing so.

Fans who asks artists to keep their art on public display do so for a variety of reasons, and some of those reasons are very legitimate and they are not being selfish in doing so.

Some people hate artists who take down their art, even if they’re doing so for very reasonable and valid reasons, and some people hate fans who bitch and act entitled when artists take down their art.

But this thread is about artists we miss, not how much we hate some artists or how much we hate some fans, or how much we hate the fact that artists retain their rights and sometimes artists exercise that right, or how much we hate people who whinge on about artists exercising their rights. I’m sure I missed someone - if you’ve been calling other people names or talking about how shitty they are (or how shitty their actions are - big distinction!) then please drop it.

full

So let’s stop calling each other names, ok?
Panko Pai
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork

Shy gamer stallion
But this thread is about artists we miss, not how much we hate some artists

If there was a thread about that, then I’ll be probably included here. And there’ll be lots of rule #0 breaking
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@Panko Pai  
There’s been some attempts to create a thread like that, but usually it gets Rule #0’ed out of commission. Or Rule #8’ed. Those things too often turn into DOXing hell holes.

There are a couple that still survive though, depending on how you define “Artist”. And “Survive”.
Background Pony #3F22
@Panko Pai  
There was the ToxicMario/Pizza Thread. That one was… something else.

But yeah, we’re getting off topic and that’s one artist no one misses lol.
Background Pony #45B4
@Skoon  
Yes there is clearly a difference, but they are similar enough in that they are both artistic endeavors for the masses - usually. Both are made because the creators WANT people to see them, and often to earn money on them to some extent ofc, you are right.  
To view it legally cost money.

That depends on how you view it. Movies appear in free TV sooner or later. You can argue that you still need to pay for the TV fees etc but that also applies to viewing drawings made by people that you see on the internet. Being on the internet is not free either, you pay for that monthly. So again it’s not actually that different in that regard, both CAN be seen “free” sooner or later :)

@Background Pony #3F22  
I agree, my position is entitled. I don’t think I contested that at any point? I just still firmly stand by my belief that the creation can become something greater than the creator and - again - sometimes it would be best to protect the creation from its creator.  
To say it’s “selfish” for a creator to do with their work what they want

Is it not, though? If they do what THEY want, notwithstanding what anyone else might want? That’s pretty much the definition of selfish there, no? Again, the only question is if that selfishness is okay or not :)

@Derpy Whooves  
To be clear: Is this a call to stop the entire debate or just to turn down the use of expletives?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide