[SFW] Artist's Group Chat

saby
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

extra fun at parties
@Mr100dragon100  
Well not everything everything but… anything that’s prominent? Especially related to the sort of actions and situations and emotions that are taking place.
Background Pony #4A1B
@saby  
Um, I don’t really want to risk it, as I’m saving up for more important things.  
I’ll just find someone else, if that’s all right with you
Background Pony #4A1B
Would anyone be willing to teach me how to create my own OCs/pony art and scenery are from scratch?
40kponyguy
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

AimingToPlease,OftenMiss
@Background Pony #4A1B  
Traditional art? I may be able to help there.

Digital? No.

The trick to drawing the ponies is drawing a circle for the head, and getting the body shape right. After that everything else is just down to practice.
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Background Pony #4A1B  
If you’re drawing digitally, you still start with basically the same process.

Draw a circle. Draw more circles, tubes, rectangles, etc. Make them a head and a body.

Same for trees. Draw a vertical tube. Put balls on top of it. Make it look like a tree.

Since you want to draw digitally, what tools you’re using really does make a difference as to how you create those shapes. For example, if you’re using Maya you’re going to be loading objects or creating new extrusions. If you’re drawing with Sai then it’s more like working on paper except the lines either are completely digital pixels or they are curves with ‘handles’ that you manipulate.

So - what kind of digital drawing do you want to do, and have you tried any of the youtube videos that are available for getting started in that tool?

There’s lots of ‘how to’ that will show you everything from getting your tool set up to doing advanced shading and texturing - what have you tried? What tools are you working with?
Ciaran
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Background Pony #4A1B  
Well, you’re in the perfect place to start :)

You have a lot of ideas of things you would like to draw, and like Lauren Faust said, everyone only has about a thousand crappy drawings in them before you start drawing the good stuff.

So - start getting those thousand crappy drawings out of the way and you’ll soon be drawing the kind of thing you want to draw :)

If you’re starting from scratch, just grabbing any kind of paper - even paper bags - and a wooden pencil is a great way to start. Just start drawing what you see around you.

Here’s a video for the absolute beginner that doesn’t seem to be horrifically condescending or useless … and it doesn’t seem to be trying to get your money. Give it a look and see what you can do :)

Drawing is the kind of thing that you’ll never completely ‘learn’. No matter how long you do it, there will always be something you want to improve. But the sooner you start the better you can get.

… even as I type that, I notice that the video I suggested actually starts with a good point about not choking up on the pencil … I think I’m gonna watch that video, it’s a lot of good basics.
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Ciaran  
And seriously - that thing I said first is really important. Eventually you’ll ‘run out of ideas’ of things to draw. Having a burning inspiration like you have really can make a world of difference in keeping going.
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Background Pony #4A1B  
Having expert guidance definitely helps.

But, drawing realistic things is something you can start doing yourself.

Even if you want to eventually draw characters or amazing scenery, if you start with a drawing a realistic box can really give you experience with the basics and will open up what is possible.

Sure, it’s just a box. But if you want to draw things realistically, boxes can do a lot of work. Once you can draw a box, you can draw a street scene, or a car, or a million other things that are, from a certain point of view, just a box.
tehwatever
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@Background Pony #4A1B  
@Background Pony #4A1B  
I have no talent, either. What I do have, I learned from school and gym: consistent, dedicated practice and sticking to a schedule.

Many currently digital artists like Marco Bucci, Mohammad Agbadi, Adam from Lucidpixul, Ross Draws etc also draws parallel of drawing with physical exercise.

I dont mean to discourage you but I want you to be aware of this sooner than later: like any endeavor, you will face discomfort and you must work through it. Keeping in mind practice and study.

Practice is when you’re grinding the fundamentals. Think about it as the training and daily workout before the day of the performance. It keeps you ready and it makes the creative part even more fun.
saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Non-Fungible Trixie -

extra fun at parties
@Background Pony #4A1B  
Most good, even great artists don’t have any innate “talent”. Sure, people have different brains with different learning rates for hand-eye coordination or visual analysis etc, but they’re nothing without the rest of the package.

So don’t think you need “talent” to have meaningful growth as an artist.

As for the guidance, just join an art server on Discord, or a group on some other platform, or even go on /mlp/ drawthread. There’s lots of people who can give good advice for a beginning/early intermediate artist round those, and you’ll definitely get better results crowdsourcing your learning if you can’t pay someone to actually tutor you.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide