[SFW] Artist's Group Chat

Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Mildgyth  
This is so wonderful.

My eyes keep getting pulled to the pillars. They are so fascinating.

As a Tarot reader, pillars in the background are always intriguing, and these definitely reward the viewer.
Background Pony #6006
I’ve been reading about the fundamentals of art recently, and one of the things I’ve seen mentioned from various people is using your shoulder to draw, rather than using your wrist. I’ve tried using this method, but every time I do it, it just feels awkward, and I end up going back to using my wrist again.

Has anyone else here tried drawing from the shoulder, and if so, does it work out for you?
JenniTheDragon
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Artist -

Dragon / Kirin
@Background Pony #5639  
Ah! This is something I still kinda struggle with to this day, haha. Old habits die hard. Personally, I found that most of my problem was not having a large enough drawing space. I used to use a graphics tablet with a 8 x 6 inch drawing surface, and chicken scratched a lot. Or… a lot more than I do these days with my larger tablet.

But yeah – drawing from the shoulder absolutely helps. Gesture absolutely helps! Being confident in your lines absolutely helps!!
Background Pony #6006
@JenniTheDragon  
That makes a lot of sense. I’ve mostly been sketching in a small notebook recently, so maybe that’s what’s been causing me to resort back to using my wrist. Also, another thing I’ve heard, is that drawing on an angled surface will make the use of the shoulder come more naturally, but I haven’t tried that out yet. I’ve just gotta keep at it, and remind myself to get used to using my entire arm to draw. Hopefully my line gestures will become more confident over time.

Thank you for the reply and explanation!
tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@Background Pony #5639  
Depends. If I was to draw on an easel or anything A3 or B4 and bigger I can draw with shoulder. But on a graphic tablet size A5 or smaller? On my mobile?! No way.

Most cheap digital tablets have a working area that you can easily cover with wrists alone, so yeah it’s not yer fault for switching to wrists all the time.

But if you ever drawn on an easel, you’ll find that your shoulder is doing work–whether you’re doing it consciously or not.
Background Pony #6006
@tehwatever  
I’ve read that from some places as well. In the future, I’m gonna try and get an easel of some sort, and see if that changes my line gestures for the better.
Kaifloof
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Artist -

Child of the Night
I don’t normally participate in threads because my comments often get lost, unless I’m trying to be helpful with collabs and whatnot. But heyy, let’s try something new~!

For those of you who do show-style vectors, what kind of programs do you use? I’m mostly a SAI/PS fusion user; I do my linework and coloring in SAI and effects/edits in PS. I’ve been recommended Inkscape if I wanted to get into proper vector making but when I tried Inkscape awhile ago (like quite a few years back), I kinda got overwhelmed with the UI and quickly backpedaled out of it haha

@Flutter_Lover  
I’ve heard good things about CSP! I’ve heard quite a few people say it’s a fusion between Photoshop and Procreate. I’d love to give CSP and Procreate a try sometime!
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide