[SFW] Artist's Group Chat

TheHappySpaceman
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Sweet F.A.
Not sure what I’m doing that you’re not, because that… doesn’t hugely look like Noodle, lol. (EDIT: And that honestly doesn’t look like Mina either, now I’ve looked her up.)

I guess they’re primarily referring to Noodle’s phase 2 look, where she had purple hair with long bangs?  
full  
Though IMO, they still look totally different apart from that.  
Actually, having thought about it, I guess complexity in the design is part of it. The two OCs shown take an elegance-in-simplicity approach to their design, so I guess there’s more of a risk that they’ll bear a resemblance to another character; if they have a relatively small number of defining features then it’s statistically more likely that some other character out there will share some or most of those features.

That’s fair, yeah. I don’t tend to put a large number of details and stuff into my OCs (even when I do add stuff to their outfits and the like, more often than not I draw them in different outfits anyway).

@tehwatever  
Work in progress.
full

L-lewd…
TheHappySpaceman
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

Sweet F.A.
This is my new character, by the way. The one people claim looks like a character from Evangelion.

full

I’ve never seen that anime, so I couldn’t say how similar they look or how similar they are personality-wise. (Worth noting, too, that this is a nude ref–I’m working on giving her proper clothes that fit her personality and the setting.)
GreenLinzerd
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Bung a rock at it!
@TheHappySpaceman  
The resemblance to Noodle is superficial. The hair is very similar in style but it’s not the same colour, and she doesn’t really resemble Noodle facially, and like you said, Noodle has only had that style at specific points.

…I dunno, man.
GreenLinzerd
Artist -

Bung a rock at it!
Well anyway, I’m really liking this character, so I’m eager to showcase her for a full pic. (MEGA cutie.) Sketch is more or less done, but I might make the tail still bigger… 😅

full
tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@TheHappySpaceman  
If I may give my opinion? It’s not original. It’s good, but yeah, she’s very much like any other doll-jointed robots. There’s not much to distinguish her from. Even her silhouette is generic.

It’s very good though. For one, its simplicity means that she’s excellent for animators.
GreenLinzerd
Artist -

Bung a rock at it!
@TheHappySpaceman  
I think giving her a rad hairstyle would go a long way. Especially if it looked “robotic”, like all geometric-like. I think since she’s very inorganic-looking, having some more stylised and artificial-looking hair would suit her better than the semi-realistic hair she has. Also the eyes. Having expressive eyes is key. Putting a shine on them would be the simplest way I can think of. If it were me drawing a robot in my style, I would make the eyes more oval-shaped (vertically) and give her visible whites and pupils, but that’s just what I would do. Hope that helps somehow! :)
GreenLinzerd
Artist -

Bung a rock at it!
Also thanks for the compliments on the new gal! I’m especially pleased with how she’s turned/turning out, so I’m glad y’all like her.
TheHappySpaceman
Artist -

Sweet F.A.
I think giving her a rad hairstyle would go a long way. Especially if it looked “robotic”, like all geometric-like. I think since she’s very inorganic-looking, having some more stylised and artificial-looking hair would suit her better than the semi-realistic hair she has.

Hmm. What type of hairstyle are you thinking? I’m having a hard time picturing robotic hair. Unless we’re talking about something like Jenny from that one TV show.  
full  
Though TBH, I don’t want Glitch to look too much like a copy of that.  
Also the eyes. Having expressive eyes is key. Putting a shine on them would be the simplest way I can think of. If it were me drawing a robot in my style, I would make the eyes more oval-shaped (vertically) and give her visible whites and pupils, but that’s just what I would do.

I getcha, yeah. I’ve drawn characters with regular eyes before, but it’s not incredibly easy and I don’t know if making Glitch look more like that would make sense. ^^;
GreenLinzerd
Artist -

Bung a rock at it!
@TheHappySpaceman  
I did think of Jenny, but not like that. This is what I pictured, please do excuse the messiness.

full

See how it still looks like hair but rather than being thousands of strands, is instead a few dozen larger pieces made out of plastic or something similar? This hairstyle is more tomboyish than what you seem to be going for, but it shows the kind of physical structure I was thinking of. I’ve seen it done before but have no idea how to search for the images. ;~;

You could also be more creative with the style than my example, and make something… well, like I said earlier, more geometric and “cool” looking than an ordinary hairstyle.
GreenLinzerd
Artist -

Bung a rock at it!
Also, I finally (read: after 4 years) fixed my graphics tablet settings so the touchpad mapping isn’t stretched across both my monitors. In other words, when I drew a circle with my hand an oval would appear onscreen. And now it’s fixed, OH BOY LINEART FEELS SO MUCH SMOOTHER AND MORE INTUITIVE. I put it off because I was afraid I would have to relearn how to use the thing, but I got used to it in 10 minutes. ;~; So I’m simultaneously annoyed and relieved, lol.
tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@GreenLinzerd  
Hahahaha! been doing that since i got my tablet lol. i immediately noticed it and forced my working space to meet the aspect ratio of my screen. I don’t care if it means sacrificing about one sixth of the mappable working area of the tablet. more space for me to rest my palm on.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide