[SFW] Artist's Group Chat

GreenLinzerd
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Bung a rock at it!
@GreenLinzerd
Thanks!
But well, frankly I’d prefer to chalk my current skill to regular exercise and some amount of discipline than to talent. Speaking of talent and exercise; you draw really well, what’s your training schedule like?
😓 Training? Uh…

I don’t really train per se… I see every drawing as “training” to get better at it, and that training has been going for my entire life, so… I guess just keeping on drawing and seeing what works and what doesn’t. No schedule though, lol.
40kponyguy
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

AimingToPlease,OftenMiss
@GreenLinzerd  
I wouldn’t call it ‘training’.

I think the word we’re looking for here is ‘practice’.

Look at virtually any artist here, and you’ll see a noticeable improvement from their first uploads when put beside their latest artwork.
tehwatever
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@GreenLinzerd  
Nice! I don’t have a schedule as well. If I have a free time like about an hour or two, and I’m in a place where I can pull up my digital drawing tablet, then I draw.  
As for training, I kinda pick up a habit of drawing freehand circles, straight lines, ICS curves and point to point single strokes before I even try to sketch. I told you, I’m not really gifted so I need to warm up before going in.

If I sketch before warming up then my circles look squiggly or flat on one side, my lines look uncommitted and my curves don’t bend where I want them. I usually do about five minutes warm up draw for an hour / 45 minutes, then take a ten minutes break, then draw again until I’m out of time.
GreenLinzerd
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Bung a rock at it!
@GreenLinzerd
I wouldn’t call it ‘training’.
I think the word we’re looking for here is ‘practice’.
Look at virtually any artist here, and you’ll see a noticeable improvement from their first uploads when put beside their latest artwork.
Well no kidding. I was just trying to fit tehwatever’s use of the word into my answer because that’s the closest thing I do to “training”.

@tehwatever  
@GreenLinzerd
As for training, I kinda pick up a habit of drawing freehand circles, straight lines, ICS curves and point to point single strokes before I even try to sketch. I told you, I’m not really gifted so I need to warm up before going in.
If I sketch before warming up then my circles look squiggly or flat on one side, my lines look uncommitted and my curves don’t bend where I want them. I usually do about five minutes warm up draw for an hour / 45 minutes, then take a ten minutes break, then draw again until I’m out of time.
Eh, I don’t think needing to warm up has much to do with talent. It’s a recommended thing in general. I sometimes do very quick warmups and then start drawing whatever I wanted to do in the first place. It does still take me a bit to get into the zone though…

But I have to ask, what in the fiblay is an ICS curve??
tehwatever
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@GreenLinzerd  
The letters I C and S.

Yeah that’s what I practice. I draw two points and try to connect them with a single straight line, a single curve with no inflection point, or a single curve with one inflection point.

Basically to keep my lines confident and flowing, as opposed to hesitant and stiff.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Guys, how does one promote one’s art in da social media and what other pony sites are there to post my stuff?

What is the skill level needed to start putting yourself out there? How can you tell if you’re good enough?
Background Pony #54DA
@tehwatever  
I post my stuff on DeviantArt and Twitter, and also use Fur Affinity, KnowYourMeme, Discord and Derpibooru when appropriate.

As for skill level? M8… if any munchkin with a pencil and lined paper can post on DeviantArt, you can ABSOLUTELY do so if you’re capable of stuff like that amazing one up above.

Although you might like to consider expanding your horizons a bit if you want to keep people’s interest.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide