2020 Derpibooru Community Collab

Background Pony #2D75
It’s alright! Take as much time as you need! No need to rush, no matter when it’s finished we’ll all be thankful for your amazing editing work ^^
Joey
Dawnsong - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

PM me your cute OCs
Unreformed changeling OCs staring directly at overly adorable shippings? Sure, why not?

full
Joey
Dawnsong - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Non-Fungible Trixie -

PM me your cute OCs
So, here’s a bit of a bigger update regarding the status of the collab, as well as some of my thoughts about what it should be:

Anyone who’s seen the 2019 collab (>>1945331), or even the 2018 collab (>>1623600) will realize that characters were largely arranged by color, with a lot of regard to artistic style. Everything flowed together really nicely, each image looked very nice next to every image surrounding it. Originally, I was taking the same approach to the 2020 collab - I’d place a character, and then search through every remaining submission looking for the one that looks the best next to the one I just placed.

This is why it’s been going so slow - sometimes it’d take me 5-10 (sometimes 15) minutes to find a single image to add to the collab. I’d find one that looks like it may fit, add it, then realize it doesn’t look quite as good with the character in the row before it, so I have to remove it and go looking for another character. This was especially tricky with characters/groups in odd poses, or a character holding something that needed to be shown off (like a plushie). The process I was using trying to keep everything nice and smooth was causing things to progress extremely slowly.

Even worse - I zoomed out and looked at what I had so far overall, and quite frankly - it looked so fucking boring. It was just a few hundred OCs arranged in neat, even lines, sorted by colors. It looked nice, but it felt more like like a class photo than a fun event:

full

I wasn’t excited by what I was seeing. It didn’t feel like a Derpibooru collab. It didn’t reflect my vision on what a Derpibooru collab should be, nor my feelings on what the Derpibooru community is. Simply put - it wasn’t fun.

So I deleted over half of it.

Then I grabbed around thirty random submissions without regard to color, art style, etc and imported them all into the collab’s main PSD all at once. I scaled them all to be the same size, then just arranged them into a neat little blob around what was left. No regards to consistency, no neat organized even lines, nothing. Just thirty random ponies arranged in a way that looked nice. Then I grabbed another thirty and did it again. And again. And again.

After doing that a few times, the collab started taking a new shape. It looks a bit more chaotic than previous collabs, and a bit more disorganized. But in turn, it looks absolutely amazing. It looks like a snapshot of an actual community. It’s fun, it’s exciting, it’s inclusive, it looks great. And while I’m only just under a third of the way done, I think with this new approach I’m taking, it’s gonna be the best one yet. I’m definitely magnitudes more excited about what I’m looking at now than what I was looking at last night.

And yes - I did say “just under a third of the way done”. After deleting over half the collab, I went from ~330 characters to only 156. But this new approach I am taking is so fast that the current count is exactly 447 characters. In the past twenty four hours, I managed to make almost the same amount of progress that I made in the three weeks prior, but the results are so much better.

Overall, I feel like the approach I took to the 2019 collab just wasn’t all that great. At a minimum, it doesn’t scale well. I feel I was making a huge mistake trying to apply the same approach to the 2020 collab, but luckily I caught myself in time and things are looking much better now.

So yeah, that’s the status. It’s going great, and I’m now officially excited.
Pilot231
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends

Sounds like you’re finding your groove. ^^ Bet it’ll look awesome when all said is done, and I’m sure we’ll all be patient for the results.

turns towards everyone

Riiiight guys?
Pizzamovies
Pizzamovies - Derpi Supporter
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Burger Rebellion
Knowing the last two collabs, my OC will be the part of some stupid placement inside joke that will spark memes for the next year.
saby
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Non-Fungible Trixie -

extra fun at parties
@Joey  
The new approach does sound like a lot more fun too, if you can find little jokes like the changeling and the couples around it to put in some of the other clusters. And rather than have a great idea that will carry the entire group picture, there can be multiple smaller ideas that don’t have to be universally applicable throughout the thing.
40kponyguy
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

AimingToPlease,OftenMiss
@Panko Pai  
I’m expecting my own to stand out a bit, because they’re traditional art.

Got 11 of my drawings in this, 13 characters. (Mine and my daughter’s, 4 well known ones I wanted to see, and the rest are for others who couldn’t draw their own for various reasons).
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: Move to 2021 https://derpibooru.org/forums/art/topics/2021-derpibooru-community-collab