Dragon Ball Thread

Philweasel
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Right About Everything
@QuasarNova  
Yeah, I realize he’s not as strong as Jiren, but that’s like saying I could land a punch on Conner McGregor because he was getting tired. 17 wasn’t that strong comparatively when he appeared in The Cell Saga, now he’s capable of at least sparring with SSJB Goku, and taking a hit from people stronger than the GoD’s. 18 took out Ribrianne, who was giving Vegeta a decent fight.

This is without any evidence of serious training for either of them. I’m not going to go mad and claim that 17 wasn’t the weakest member of the final half dozen fighters, but honestly I don’t think he’s that far below Freeza and Gohan.
Dr_Osaka
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Sata Andagi!
So according to the King Piccolo saga those who are killed by evil, mtheir souls cannot transcend to the afterlife which is an interesting idea plus in some cases it kinda makes sense like how Chiaotzu, Tien and Piccolo technically sacrificed their lifes to try and beat Nappa so in a way it does make sense how they would show up in the otherworld as well as King Kai’s planet. Other cases though I would say are a bit confusing like Goku sorta sacrificing his life to beat Raditz but it was done by the hand of Piccolo, or Yamcha getting blown up by a Saibaman which I don’t know if it self destructing counts against it or not; oh and I guess there is also Roshi sacrificing his life to trap King Piccolo.

Piccolo regrowing his arm back is something I kinda felt should have been introduced in Z cause while the use of it was pretty cool at the 23rd World Tournament the way it was used during Raditz fight seemed like it made more sense like how he didn’t bother to grow it back until after the fight, plus if Goku saw him do it during their battle then you’d think he’d question why Piccolo didn’t do it during that battle then.
tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@Philweasel  
Hm. If you use Conor McGregor as an analogy for Jiren.  
…  
that means Khabib Nurmagomedov musta been at least at the level of Ultra Instinct Goku, because Conor wasn’t tired when Khabib landed this

full

Ok sorry I wasn’t planning to derail this thread.
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

@Philweasel

And in any case, 17 (along with 18) has the great advantage in regards to stamina, and as of the ToP, he has a pragmatic enough approach to fighting to be completely willing to attack someone mid-transformation. (also you can’t sense their energy, so they’re really, really good at sneak attacks, if the opponent’s guard is down for whatever reason)

There’s no way 17 could’ve been the last standing fighter if he didn’t get any stronger before that arc. He may not be the strongest, but he’s pretty damn resilient, and an outstanding team player.

(kinda interesting, just how much more powerful they became than Cell, though I wouldn’t doubt his great potential to grow stronger, either, considering; a hypothetical team with the three of them [17, 18, and Cell] would be pretty damn imposing, though it’s obviously not likely, with Cell’s canon personality being what it is, as an omnicidal maniac)
Dr_Osaka

Sata Andagi!
I’m curious as to what training the Z Warriors were doing at Kami’s lookout considering they managed to power themselves up into the 1,000s level, I mean when Goku went to train up there his highest power was 400 without weights and it took him 3 years to achieve that power; They all leveled up several leagues in a year and became pretty much stong enough to beat Raditz.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Dr_Osaka

Goku has terrible gains. That’s pretty much it.

Training with Kami? Strong enough to beat King and Jr Piccolo. Everyone else train with Kami? Strong as Raditz.

Train with King Kai? Strong enough to match Vegeta with the Kaio Ken. Everyone else? Strong enough to stomp the Ginyus without Kaio Ken.

Train in the afterlife post-Cell? Able to match Pikkon. Everyone else? …match Pikkon in less time.
Dr_Osaka

Sata Andagi!
It’s funny even before TeamFourStar came along Nappa was always one of my favorie characters. Not completely sure why considering all the options we get later on but something about Nappa was always badass, he certainly was pretty intimidating and a powerhouse to be reckoned with and I suppose he also stood out from the other Saiyans who usually do have distinctive qualities so in a way it made him stand out more, plus with all the information we find out about Saiyans later it’s fun to speculate certain things like what would Nappa be like as a SSJ.

I have to wonder had Tien not lost his arm, would he have actually been able to defeat Nappa with the Tri-Beam? Assuming he lost some of his energy when his arm got punched off, but considering the Tri-Bean requires a lot of energy, lifeforce and at least two hands to pull off properly it does make you wonder if that would have actually worked.

It’s understandable for the elites to be super powerful and overcome their weaknesses, but I’m curious why Raditz didn’t overcome his weakness? I mean even Goku as a kid learned to train his tail so it wouldn’t weakne him yet as an adult who’s comrades have been trained in that field apparently wasn’t able to do so, and honestly it wouldn’t have made any difference cause Goku ended up not taking full advantage of his weakness anyways.
Dr_Osaka

Sata Andagi!
@Dustcan  
Okay that’s actually a cool idea, and since we don’t see any of the other Saiyans with facial hair (Or at least the main characters anyway, not including King Vegeta and Paragus) it’s not unlikely to think they would go gold. (Kinda makes me wish Vegeta kept his mustache just to see what would happen)

Also I kinda have to wonder what would become of Raditz going SSJ, would he just look like SSJ3 and if that’s the case if we saw him actually go SSJ3 would his hair grow longer?
Dr_Osaka

Sata Andagi!
Welp finally reached one of the most iconic moments from DBZ: It’s Over 9,000!  
This has pretty much been one of the most quoted memes to ever come out, and it is funny to look back on it and question how something like this got to where it’s at. Of course I remember it best for how it was portrayed in the Ocean dub, and like most people I also remember it best for Kajetokun but I never really thought about why it’s so icon it that is until recently.

See the interesting thing about the original Dragon Ball series is that despite how powerful a lot of characters were, they were strong just from strength training alone; that’s why the highest power we’ve seen Goku achieve by the end was only 400 because just from training your body in the conditions he did he was able to achieve that amount through various Earth and heaven training. And when Raditz arrived he had a power of 1,000 which suggest he comes from a planet where gravity is stronger there fore the muscles become tougher and is why he is as powerful as he is. Later when Nappa and Vegeta arrive they show us that you can actually raise your muscle strength using ki which means they are able to go beyond what the body is capable of, and keep in mind that this was technically never done before and while characters have been known to charge ki it was only ever to release energy attacks and that’s it. So because of all this it’s all the more impressive when we see Goku achieve this ability to raise his power after training in the afterlife.  
As for Vegeta crushing his scouter in a fit of rage, it’s iconic because up to this point the Earthlings have shown to be strong but not nearly on their level and considering that Goku could barely fight Raditz they felt it wasn’t anything to be concerned about, that is until Piccolo sensed Goku’s power and Vegeta noticed it was 5,000 and then when Goku arrived and raised his power up to 9,000 (or 8,000 for some versions) Vegeta not only could not believe what the scouter said was real but deep down he knew that if Kakarot could achieve that amount of power in that amount of time it pretty much meant he was capable of more then he thought thus meaning that Goku could actually pose an actual threat. And there you have one of the most famous scenes that feels perfectly justified.

….Or it could just have be a funny line read and visual, and people just used it for jokes that’s possible as well.  
full
Dr_Osaka

Sata Andagi!
One of the things I really liked about the Budokai Tenkaichi series is that you actually got to see all the Saiyans transform into Great Apes in the games, and not only that there was a lot of creativity done with it like the specific uniforms for each of them, how Vegeta, Nappa, and King Vegeta all still had their ability to think while the others act like mindless animals, how Vegeta, King Vegeta and Turles can create an artificial moon to transform and also if you are on a stage that has a full moon then you can transform that was as well.

As much as I love the Saiyan Saga, I can’t deny Goku letting Vegeta go always bothered me. I get that Vegeta is a popular character which I’m sure is why Toriyama kept him around and he would go on to play a major role in the series as a Z Warrior but even then didn’t quite feel right to me.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

Speaking of Saiyan Saga…

The iconic Gallick Gun vs Kamehameha scene has always been one of my favorite parts of DBZ (The Anime) due to how intense it felt. When the beams look like they could do some serious damage, and when firing them look like it could take a toll on you. It had impact. I kept rewatching that scene because it’s just so freaking cool! It also became the standard to which all beam struggle scenes were compared against.

And then someone put Man of Steel soundtrack to the scene. I’m legit getting chills.
Dr_Osaka

Sata Andagi!
So something that always bothered me was when the scouters self destructed on their own whenever the power level goes too high. I get they are trying to emphasize the power being too much for the device to handle but it’s a little over the top, I mean if I do a bunch of multiplications on my calculator the thing just doesn’t explode for doing too many or if I turn the volume to maximum on my tv the whole thing doesn’t blow up. You could make the argument that the force of Ki is so strong it causes the device to explode, but considering characters do end up getting newer models clearly it can’t just be the Ki itself.

Also gotta love how they build up characters like Cui and Dodoria as these big bad villains only to have them one shot into oblivion by Vegeta; Sure it’s showing how Vegeta has grown stronger and saving Krillin and Gohan the trouble of fighting them themselves but even still way to make them pointless to the story.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@Dr_Osaka  
Not a fair comparison.  
You can toast your cpu chip by overheating it. that’s why most laptops have a upper temperature limit where they start forcing your cpu to run at a significantly slower clock speed, to keep temperature from rising up to unsafe levels.

Here’s my theory on scouter reading: high performing scouters are engineered to count with little delay, and it can read exorbitant amount of date very fast. low performing scouters can’t count as fast, and so if you want it to read at the same rate as top tier scouters, you’d have to crank it up and boost its clock speed to unsafe level, and thus the temperatures spike and toast the components.

I guess the engineers of the scouters never bothered implementing a fuse or any kind of setting where they stop processing if it hit a certain level. MY GUESS, is that they have different range for different troops. Guys who hang around Frieza–who can hit 1 million easy, are given scouters that can count up higher numbers, while regular blokes who are sent onto planets where they don’t expect high power levels, are given scouters that are appropriate to the expected power levels.
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

@Dr_Osaka

Speaking of Dodoria, it’s funny how he’s slower than others less powerful than he is (and took hits due to his recklessness), and how he couldn’t leverage his strength to get much of anything done in general. It says something when Frieza has to tell you not to kill someone you need to interrogate, too, lol.

@tehwatever

Apparently it took until the Broly movie for them to make Scouters with the feature of… “stops trying to read the power level when it goes too high,” lol.
Thanotos Omega
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

@Dr_Osaka  
I always assumed that the device that actually detects the power level inside the scouter was ki sensitive and the explosions were from it absorbing to large of a sample from one source,
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@AC97  
I mean, sooner or later they gonna have to start making scouters last a little longer, considering the frieza force isn’t what it used to be–so they can’t really afford churning up new scouter every time one breaks. I want to believe that Frieza is actually broke now.  
Sure Frieza can still pay goons and mercs a shit ton of money but his current income must be like, not even 1% of what it was 40 years ago.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide